Fifth grade is an exciting year for students. It is a year of change as students gain the independence they need for their transition to middle school. As a fifth grade team, we work hard to give students opportunities to be more independent and to take more responsibility for their learning. We strive to meet each student’s individual learning needs through a variety of instructional methods, such as small groups, flexible grouping, and enrichment activities, all geared to help them gain a lifelong love of learning
There are currently four teachers in fifth grade. Each teacher teaches one of the content subjects, (math, science and US History). The fifth grade teachers also teach their homeroom class language arts which includes, reading, English, and word study.
East Salem is on an eight day special area or activity rotation. Within that eight day rotation, fifth graders will have PE and library twice, and art, guidance and music once. Fifth grade also participates in the D.A.R.E program through the local police department.
Our goals as fifth grade teachers are:
- To provide a positive environment for learning
- To help students develop study skills
- To help students develop lifelong organizational skills
- To prepare each student for the middle school experience
- To foster self-discipline and independence in each student
- To provide an environment conducive to self-expression and creativity
- To provide a level of computer literacy in each student
- To provide a curriculum which is guided by the Standards of Learning but exceeds these standards when appropriate